Have you ever wondered when alcohol and substance-use started? Here is a fascinating find from years of archaeological research that will surely interest you as well.
Drug addiction is a big issue in just about any country. Rehabilitation centers have become a demand because of the increased number of drug dependents. Concerned family members travel from various part of the country to get a good detox in Florida, or to bring a loved one in for rehabilitation. It is a growing problem in our time.
There are no written records that can prove the existence of drugs and drug abuse in ancient times. However, scientists cannot discount the presence of alcoholic residues, psychoactive plants and chemicals, as well as drawings that tells us a bigger story about how our ancestors made use of drugs and alcohol in their time.
Scientists attempt to collect details about ancient cultures and use small-excavation techniques. A few of the small-excavation methods include shovel test sets and augers, corers. Aerial survey is performed by utilizing cameras mounted on balloons and planes.
Here are five archaeological finds that tells us about alcohol and drug use in ancient times.
1. Tobacco. Nicotine remains were found in pipes that dates back to 300 BC. These pipes were recorded from the Northwestern Argentina. There is no clear facts if the pipes were actually used for tobacco or hallucinogenic plants.
2. Coca leaves. In the houses found in Nanchoc Valley in Peru, there were evidences of coca leaves found in the floor. Coca leaves were also found in mummy hair and dental remains. Chewing coca could be dating back to 8,000 years.
3. Alcohol. In China’s Henan Province, from the ancient Jiahu village, alcohol residue had been found in pottery jars. The residue had been found that to be a mix of honey, rice, and fermented fruit of some kind. Alcohol could be dating back to 7,000 to 6,000 B.C.
4. Hallucinogens. There were many archaeological accounts that suggests the use of hallucinogens in early times as follows:
- El Salvador, Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala – The mushroom stones were found which could be an evidence that hallucinogenic mushroom had been used dating back to around 500 B.C. to 900 A.D.
- The cave in Peru – Fossil remains of the San Pedro cactus were found dating back to 8,600 to 5,600 B.C.
- Northern Mexico and Southern Texas – Mescal beans seeds were found dating back to the ninth millenium B.C. to around 1,000 A.D.
5. Opium. The dig site in Italy revealed a fossil remain of the opium plant dating back to mid-sixth millenium. Archeological records also show traces of opiates found in human skeletons which dates back to the 4th millenium B.C.
People Were Getting High In Prehistoric Times – Watch The Video
The war against drugs is a hot and debatable topic. Perhaps tracing the history of prohibited drugs can give us some light on how to control such epidemic.